Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The first International Women's Day was celebrated in 1911. It was planned as a day of demonstration for the rights of women, primarily the right to vote. It was a great success. It still amazing to me that we have had this right for such a short time and I think that we all take it for granted.

This year International Women's Day was officially on March 8 and it's theme was "Women and men united to end violence against women and girls".

http://www.internationalwomensday.com/default.asp

I made the quilt above about 15 years ago. I spelled out around the quilt how women are still beaten, raped and killed everyday for little or no reason, simply because they are women. I asked that it be stopped. I saw it as a way to put it out there, to say it, to break through our denial and remind us all that it goes on everywhere and we are all responsible do something about it. So check out these links and don't forget to spread the word. Thanks

http://www.unifem.org/gender_issues/violence_against_women/facts_figures.php

No comments: